The final exercise in this part is to remove an element of an image.  I took a photo of my garden with my cat:

Cat in the garden

Cat in the garden

I used the selection tool to take key areas, and then used free transform to adjust size and orientation to try and match the perspective of the flags as best as possible:

Alterations close-up

Alterations close-up

Finally I blended the cuts in using clone stamp and smudge, and got rid of some smaller details with it too.  Overall I’m happy with the results – happier than I thought I would be before I started this exercise, after the last one which had less-than-perfect results.  The lines on the flags aren’t perfect, but they’re fairly reasonable.  Here’s the final result:

The garden, no cat

The garden, no cat