Mega-snowman!

Mega-snowman!

This post is a continuation of exercise 1 – your own workflow (part 1) here, and summarises how I found following the workflow I described in the first exercise.

The shoot was a snow day which – while not strictly “portraits” – was of people and included some posed portrait opportunities as well as candid shots, so I felt it did suit the exercise overall.  I had a limited time period (just over one hour) as I was cooking a stew and had to make up some dumplings for it before serving.

I found that as some of the shots were action based step 2 – reviewing in camera, deleting and reshooting – didn’t happen all that much as I didn’t want to miss anything.  Though it did occur with posed portrait shots.  All-in-all I had a total of 231 shots on my memory card at the end of the shooting period.

After reviewing images that were clearly flawed (blurred/missed the subject) as per step 4, plus removing a few that friends took of me, I reduced this down to 195 images that were technically okay.

I then went through and completed step 5 – adding those with some potential to the quick collection and getting down to 69 shots.  I realised I’d have a bit of a mess on my hands if I just abandoned all of the shots to the Lightroom library on their own, so put the whole 195 images in to a collection, and also created a collection for the 69 shots I added to the quick collection as per step 6.

At steps 7 and 8 I performed some processing and flagged 37 shots in total that I felt were suitable for publishing on Facebook and Google+.  I did process the whole 69 – and didn’t do any further processing before publishing (step 9); though I did name and caption them – so completing steps 10 and 11.  I think I should stick to my original workflow and limit the editing I do at step 7 to simple cropping – as I spent more time on images than necessary, given I wasn’t going to use any more!

Finally I backed up the whole set to an external drive and deleted all but the 69 images I had edited down to in step 5 (steps 12 and 13).  That’s definitely something I need to get in the habit of doing as I do end up with an out-of-control library and a lot of space taken up on my laptop (the stuff I backed up and deleted was 6GB of images).

Conclusion

Overall my workflow seemed to fit well, with the notable changes I’ve mentioned above.  It was particularly close to what worked for portrait shots – but the mixed nature of what I shot meant it didn’t always fit perfectly, due to me not wanting to miss ‘action’ shots.  I would have done more of that otherwise to ensure I was getting the best out of the subject(s).  I would have filtered down to fewer than 37 shots too if the target wasn’t sharing on social networking sites!

I read ahead and what I’ve done with this exercise, in terms of post-shoot workflow, fits well with exercise 4 – so I’ll use the shots and what I’ve done so far with that exercise too (the course text says that exercises 1 and 4 could be combined with others on the course – so it makes sense in this instance to do so).